“One of country music’s biggest DIY success stories” (Forbes), Aaron Watson has released his two tracks, “9 To 5” featuring Kylie Frey and “Million Reasons” featuring Morgan Myles. These songs are a part of his upcoming project, Cover Girl, which will be available on October 27, 2023. Pre-save Cover Girl here.
What started out as a way to introduce his 13-year-old daughter to the “era defining” (Huffpost) songs that shaped his musical upbringing, has now turned into a full project of features. “The country crooner with the heart-filled lyrics” (American Songwriter) continues his journey as he releases a project near and dear to his heart. Not only is he recognizing the iconic female artists of the past but he is collaborating with rising acts, that he is happy to give a platform to as these hard working women make their way up.
The first, Dolly Parton’s “9 To 5” updates the classic working man (or woman) anthem with electric guitar riffs and pleasantly twangy vocal runs. Frey who is a third-generation rodeo girl has already notched eight number-one songs on the Texas Regional Radio Report. She is also currently competing on America’s Got Talent.
“We had to put a Dolly Parton song on Cover Girl because I think we all can agree that she is one of the greatest songwriters ever, regardless of genre,” Watson explains. “It’s the song I am most excited to play at our live show and it was important for us to keep that original, iconic piano beat because I think that is what draws everyone to that song, it’s an instant toe-tapper. I adore Kylie Frey and I admire her work ethic and her talent and I was so happy to have her on this one.”
Completely switching gears and decades, Watson chose to cover Lady Gaga’s “Million Reasons”. The power ballad was written by Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson and ties into the country world with songwriter extraordinaire Hillary Lindsey. On this countrified cover, Morgan Myles, who is a multi-instrumentalist, got her break coming in third place on NBC TV’s The Voice, lends her impressive vocal to Watson’s fresh new take.
“For me, this song was the curve ball, the one that people wouldn’t expect me to cover but when you really break it down with just me and an acoustic guitar, it sounds like such a great country song. The fact that Hillary Lindsey as one of the writers was just the icing on the cake of this well crafted song,” Watson says. “I knew I couldn’t carry that song by myself so having a vocalist as talented as Morgan Myles completely knock it out of the park, it made the track sound so much better.”
Watson holds the spot as the first independent male country artist who debuted an album at No. 1 on the Billboard Country chart. In his illustrious career he has earned awards, hundreds of millions of streams and shared the stage with country legends. Currently on Roughstock Roadshow headlining tour, he’s hitting cities across the country.
TRACKLIST FOR ‘COVER GIRL’
- Seven Year Ache feat. Jenna Paulette – (Roseanne Cash)
- Million Reasons feat. Morgan Myles (Stefani Germonatta, Hillary Lindsay, Mark Ronson)
- Back On the Chain Gang feat. Twinnie (Christine Hynde)
- Love at the Five and Dime feat. Jamie Lin Wilson (Nanci Griffith)
- Can’t Cry Anymore feat. Bri Bagwell (Bill Botrell, Sheryl Crow)
- All Through The Night feat. Leigh Nash (Jules Shear)
- 9 To 5 feat. Kylie Frey (Dolly Parton)
- You’re The Reason God Made Oklahoma feat. Kimberly Kelly (Boudleaux Bryant, Felice Bryant, Larry Collin, Sandy Pinkard)
- Grandpa Tell Me About The Good Ole Days feat. Courtney Patton (Jamie O’Hara)
- Two More Bottles of Wine feat. Alyssa Micaela (Delbert Ross McClinton)
- Never Grow Up feat. Jolee Kate Watson (Taylor Swift)